Keywords: conference, language, concept, discourse, linguistic personality, culture, phraseology, paremiology, intercultural communication, linguodidactics, Russian as a foreign language.
On October 29, 2021, the VI International Scientific Conference «The World of Language – the World in Language» was held at the M.P. Dragomanov National Pedagogical University (Faculty of Foreign Philology), Kiev, Ukraine https://npu.edu.ua/. The conference was held in a remote (online/ correspondence) format.
The conference was organized by the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine, the M.P. Dragomanov National Pedagogical University (Faculty of Foreign Philology), the A.A. Potebnia Institute of Linguistics of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine http://www.inmo.org.ua/, the University of Lodz (Lodz, Poland) https://www.uni.lodz.pl/ and the Shumen University. Bishop Konstantin Preslavsky (Shumen, Bulgaria) https://www.shu.bg/. The Chairman of the Organizing Committee of the conference was A. A. Zernetska, Dean of the Faculty of Foreign Philology of the M.P. Dragomanov National Pedagogical University, Dr.Sc. (Philology), Professor.
There were 5 sections at the conference:
- Language as a historical and socio-cultural phenomenon. Languages in intercultural communication;
- Language as a cognitive mechanism. Linguistic representation of the concept;
- Language semantics as a reflection of ethnoculture. Innovative processes in the language;
- Linguistic personality and ways of its realization. Modern discursive practices;
- Applied aspects of language learning.
The conference began with a grand opening. S. A. Matveeva, Deputy Dean of the Faculty of Foreign Philology of the M.P. Dragomanov National University, Dr.Sc. (Philology), Professor, Ass.Prof.
- Wierzbinski, Head of the Department of Linguistics of the Institute of Russian Studies of the University of Lodz, (Lodz, Poland), Dr.Sc. (Philology), Professor, made a welcoming speech.
With the opening of the conference, S.Y. Nedelcheva, Deputy Dean of the Faculty of Humanities of the Bishop Konstantin Preslavsky Shumen University, Ph.D. in Philology, Ass. Prof. congratulated the participants.
On behalf of the editorial board of the Bulgarian international scientific journal «Russian Studies without Borders», Ph.D. in Philology, Ass. Prof. D.S. Lesnevska (University of National and World Economy, Sofia, Bulgaria) made a welcoming speech.
6 reports were heard at the plenary session. The moderator was Y.V. Kravtsova, Head of the Department of Slavic Languages of the M.P. Dragomanov National University, Dr.Sc. (Philology), Professor.
- Wierzbinski, Head of the Department of Linguistics of the Institute of Russian Studies of the University of Lodz, Dr.Sc. (Philology), Professor (Lodz, Poland), made a report «Semantics and stylistics of small genres with antonyms in the works of A.P. Chekhov». Antonymy in the artistic speech of A.P. Chekhov was considered as an essential feature of the writer’s individual style. Professor Y. Wierzbinski actively cooperates with Bulgarian specialists in Slavic studies. In the journal of the University of Lodz «ACTA UNIVERSITATIS LODZIENSIS, FOLIA LINGUISTICA ROSSICA, № 14, 2017», his article was published – a review of «Varieties of innovations in the vocabulary of the modern Russian language», pp. 54-63, on the book by Professor G. Gochev, St. Cyril and St. Methodius University of Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria, «Vocabulary of the Russian language of the modern period: four lectures on a special course», Lambert, 2015, 100 p.
Z.A. Vardzelashvili, Dr.Sc. (Philology), Professor of the Georgian-American University (Tbilisi, Georgia) made a presentation on «The linguistic concept of “linguistic personality” as a transdisciplinary term». The basic characteristics of the linguistic personality were listed, the term «transdisciplinarity» was considered in detail. The subject of research activity of Professor Z.A. Vardzelashvili is cognitive linguistics and linguoculturology. She gives a series of lectures «Language and knowledge».
The next speaker was L.I. Danilenko, Dr.Sc. (Philology), Professor of the Institute of Philology of the Taras Shevchenko National University of Kiev (Kiev, Ukraine), who presented her report «Slavic Phraseology and Paremiology from a historical perspective». In her report, Professor Danilenko presented her book «Czech Phraseology and Paremiology. Bibliography of the XIX – 20-x years of the XXI century». The monograph consists of 5 sections: Monographs. Thematic collections; Dictionaries; Articles; Linguodidactic potential of Czech phraseology and paremiology; Reviews. The monograph examines the stages of the formation of Czech phraseology and paremiology, the linguistic picture of the world in the interpretation of Czech phraseology and paremiology, etc. Professor L.I. Danilenko is a member of the Phraseological Commission at the International Committee of experts of Slavonic studies http://phraseoseminar.slovo-spb.ru/fkkomslav.htm
T.I. Chalakova, Ph.D.in of Philology, Professor of the Bishop Konstantin Preslavsky Shumen University (Shumen, Bulgaria) made a presentation on «The Rhizome as a model for the formation of precedent phenomena and linguistic and cultural concepts (on the example of the precedent name “Cain” and the linguistic and cultural concept “Treachery”) ».
- Maliszewski, Dr.Sc. (Philology), Ass.Prof. of the Center of Polish Language and Culture for the Diaspora and Foreigners of the Maria Sklodowska-Curie University (Lublin, Poland) dedicated his report to «The opposition “your –alien” as the basis of modern journalism». According to the author, the opposition «your-alien” is the basis of the modern political sublanguage, in particular journalistic metaphors. Maliszewski cited quotes from popular Polish socio-political magazines «Polityka» и «Newsweek» as examples.
N.E. Lemish, Dr.Sc. (Philology), Professor of M.P. Dragomanov National Research University, presented the report «Integration of precedent phenomena and nonverbal codes in intercultural communication». The report described the words «phenomenon», «precedent» and «code».
The following Bulgarian specialists in Russian studies took part in the conference with a report:
Professor T.I. Chalakova (Bishop Konstantin Preslavsky Shumen University, Shumen, Bulgaria) – a plenary report presented online;
Ass. Prof. M.A. Paliy (Konstantin Preslavsky SHU, Shumen, Bulgaria) co–authored with Ass. Prof. N.V. Misnik (Bogomolets National Medical University, Kiev, Ukraine) – a report «The terminosystem and features of its presentation in a foreign student audience» in correspondence format;
Ass. Prof. D.S. Lesnevska (University of National and World Economy, Sofia, Bulgaria – a report «Teaching business Russian as a foreign language in the Bulgarian environment», presented online. In her report, Ass. Prof. Lesnevska stressed that in the Bulgarian environment, Russian is taught as another Slavic language, and in the field of tourism – as an international and as a lingua franca.
The listened reports were accompanied by lively discussions. The discussions were attended by teachers of the Department of Slavic Languages of the M.P. Dragomanov National University: Dr.Sc. (Philology), Professor Y.V. Kravtsova; Ph.D. in Philology, Ass. Prof. T.V. Stas; Ph.D. in Pedagogy, Ass. Prof. V.I. Tarasenko; Ph.D. in philosophy, Doctoral cand. O.I. Kutsos, etc.
The conference participants express their gratitude to the organizers for holding the VI International Scientific Conference «The World of language – the world in language».